Sunday, September 28, 2008

Jinxed?

For the second time in as many years, I think I jinxed a celebrity into dying. My apologies to the many Paul Newman fans out there.

Some background--for one of my bullshit classes in Paris (Sociology of Medias, I think), I wrote a paper about the cult of celebrity, mostly in order to pass off my leisure activities as serious research. In the paper, I made a point about how ridiculous it was that Anna Nicole Smith was a celebrity, and wondered why anybody cared what she did, and how silly that she was ever in the news...and then she died. Like, three days after I turned in the paper.

Then, just last week I was explaining to somebody that I often have trouble remembering whether certain celebrities are alive or dead. For example, when Katharine Hepburn died, my reaction was: "...again?" As I explained, I pointed out Paul Newman as a current example of this phenomenon. Meaning, I was generally under the impression that he was already dead, but I couldn't specifically remember finding out about his death. This was one day before Newman actually died.

Celebrities, be warned: I'm apparently in possession of a freaky curse totally outside my control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home